VAGO Updates 2021
- VAGO LG sector monthly update – January 2021
- VAGO LG sector monthly update – February 2021
- VAGO LG sector monthly update – March 2021
- VAGO LG sector monthly update – April 2021
- VAGO LG sector monthly update – May 2021
- The following Copy of LG Sector Update email from VAGO – 24 June 2021 is to be read in conjunction with VAGO LG sector monthly update – June 2021
- Tips to get ready for a remote audit – VAGO June 2021
- VAGO LG sector monthly update – July 2021
- VAGO Fraud awareness notice – July 2021
- VAGO LG sector monthly update – August 2021
- VAGO LG sector monthly update – September 2021
- VAGO LG sector monthly update – October 2021
Local Government Act 2020 – Implementation
The Local Government Act 2020 has now received Royal Assent and information is available at www.localgovernment.vic.gov.au.
A reminder to go to https://engage.vic.gov.au/local-government-act-2020 for all LG Act information.
If you have a policy, resource or document which you are willing to share with your peers please contact our Executive Officer, Gabrielle Gordon. Contact details listed on the Contact Us Page of this website.
Examples of Policies:
- Rates and Charges Collection and Hardship Policy
- COVID-19 Financial Hardship Policy (June 2021) – Golden Plains Shire
- Creditor Management Policy
- Financial Hardship Guidleines – Greater Bendigo CC
- Investment Policy
- Investment Policy 2
- Investment Policy July 2021 – Monash City Council
- Investment Policy – Greater Bendigo CC
- Borrowing Policy – Greater Bendigo CC
- Debt Management Policy
- Procurement Policy July 2021 – Monash City Council
- Procurement Policy – Golden Plains Shire Council
- Procurement Policy – Greater Bendigo CC
- Reserve and Provision Funding Policy (updated 12Sep19) – Golden Plains SC
- Financial Reserves Management Policy – Greater Bendigo CC
Disclaimer – The documents provided above are provided for general information purposes only. Your use of any of these sample documents is at your own risk, and you should not use any of these sample documents without first seeking legal and other professional advice. The provision of these sample documents (and the documents themselves) do not constitute legal advice or opinions of any kind, or any advertising or solicitation.
Procurement – New Procurement Policies under the Local Government Act 2020
Members should be aware that after 30 June 2021, all councils, are required to comply with S108 & 109 of the Local Government Act 2020 and adopt a new Procurement Policy. The Policy will need to be adopted by 31 December 2021 and will need to be reviewed at least once every four years thereafter.
Under the 2020 Act, Council’s will have to establish their own public tender thresholds & exemptions and Council’s must consider opportunities for collaboration. The Act also allows greater powers for Councils to engage in beneficial enterprises or co-operative business opportunities which deliver increased public value. There has been significant collaborative work done in preparation for this change with regional groups preparing either one policy or policy guidelines in preparation of their new policies to their council. Check with your procurement team(s) on the progress for your council.
Note: The document is split into two sections, with Part A prescribing Banyule’s (and the NRPEN’s) public tendering thresholds and governance requirements and Appendix 2 setting out the Sustainable Procurement Policy with Appendix 2, Part B stipulating our Sustainable Procurement Key Performance Indicators.
Local Government Planning and Reporting Guides and Templates
Local Government Victoria publishes all documents relating to reporting guides and templates, including Model Budgets and Financial Statements.
Practitioners are urged to refer to the LVG Website for updated information.
Both the Model Budget 2020/21 and the Model Financial Reports 2019/20 as also still available for councils, should they wish to refer to these previous documents.
Accounting Standards Guidance and Worked Examples – AASB 9, AASB 15, AASB 16 and AASB 1058
The Accounting Standards Working Group, (Comprising FinPro members and staff from LGV and Crowe Horwath), worked together during 2018 and early 2019 to develop a guidance document specific to the Local Government Sector. It was developed by the working group and will be published and issued by Local Government Victoria and will be launched at the FinPro Seminar on Friday 22 February 2019.
The guidance material is to assist the Local Government sector to transition to the new accounting standards in a consistent and practical manner. The Guidance document is to supplement the detail of the Standards themselves; it enables the sector to know what the position is on a number of paragraphs within the standards so that the application can be applied consistently throughout the sector.
The worked examples are in an appendix to the guidance document and provide practical guidance to the overall application of the guidance materials. The Guidance document refers to the examples, so that the sector can have real, relatable examples and assist in interpreting the sectors overall position on particular paragraphs within the standards. The examples have been made simple, in order to easily follow the application, with the aim being that the sector be able to apply such examples in their organisation’s decision making.
Other information which may be of value: