Launch Of The Model Budget Guide For The 2013/14 Financial YearJune 12, 2013
I am very pleased to announce the release of the updated edition of the Victorian City Council Model Budget Guide for the 2013/14 financial year.
This update of the Guide builds on previous editions in improving the usefulness of the budget to financial users. It has also continued to address practical matters affecting preparers which have been communicated through surveys and other feedback mechanisms.
The key changes to this year’s edition include the following:
- Commentary on the new Local Government Performance Reporting Framework that will impact on budgets in 2014/15
- Information on legislative changes relating to differential rates and the draft Ministerial Guidelines released in January 2013
- Revised income and expense charts providing improved analysis of the operating budget
- Minor changes to the presentation of standard statements to align with the disclosures in the Model Financial Statements
- Commentary relating to the Fire Services Property Levy that will commence from 1 July 2013
- Amendments to Section 9 providing contextual information on rating levels and the rating structure, and referencing the Council”s broader rating strategy
- Updated description of other topical issues influencing Council budgets for the coming year.
On behalf of the Institute’s Local Government Taskforce, I hope that this is a tool that you will continue to find beneficial for your Council.
The updated Model Budget guide 2013/2014 is now available for download from the FinPro website.
The documents included on the website include:
- The full Model Budget Guide inclusive of introductions and commentary (PDF format).
- An Excel format budget template (not including commentary)
- A Word format budget template (not including commentary)
- A summary of key changes made to the Model Budget Guide this year (PDF)
The Model Budget Guide will also be included on the Institute of Chartered Accountants website shortly. A web-link to this location will be sent to FinPro members once the documents are published.
Bruce Dobson, CA
ICAA Local Government Taskforce Chairman